The Constitution for the Sewing Bee
|The Cover Page of this Document|
|Constitution and book of minutes for the Sewing Bee of the
First Scandinavian Baptist Community
/unreadable name/(could be the word "Organized") June 23 1886
|First Page of this Document|
|Because of a well known need among the Scandinavians in
Portland and surroundings to work for the sake of God, several sisters
in the First Baptist Community in Portland, Oregon, have made a request
among the female members of the community and others who wish to take
part, to meet in the community church, discuss the matter and make the
The meeting took place on June 23, 8 am. Brother Hayland who was invited to participate, read something from the Bible and lead the prayer.
The following women were present: Mrs. Hilda Hayland, Miss Ellen Johnson, Miss Betty Johnson, Mrs. Ingrid Nilson, Miss Augusta Stenström, Miss Anna Ljungström.
A temporary board was formed:
Mrs Hilda Hayland, president
N. Hayland, secretary
|Second Page of this Document|
|Constitution and Record For the first Scandivavian Baptist
Congregation's Sewing-Bee Portland, Oregon Organized June 23, 1886
After an appropriate discussion this constitution was decided at the meeting.
1. It was decided the name is The First Scandinavian
Baptist Congregation's Sewing-Bee.
|Third Page of this Document|
|visited by the pastor for help and edification.
7. It was decided that the manager or the vice manager should do the purchasing of suitable articles for the sewing-bee.
8. It was decided that the Secretary keeps the minutes of the meetings and that the Treasurer keeps the accounts and is responsible for the economy:
9. It was decided to choose a deputy member if somebody from the board is not present.
10. It was decided that every woman who wants to work for this cause and in this way could be a member.
11. It was decided that time and meeting place for the next meeting is decided every time you meet.
12. It was decided not to talk about someone, not present during the meetings, about her shortcomings. As long as it doesn't concern upcoming businesses. If
|Fourth Page of this Document|
|needed it should done very gentle.
13. It was decided to have an annual meeting June 23, or on the nearest suitable, for settling the accounts.
14. It was decided to give a copy of the accounts to the church.
15. It was decided to elect the committee.
The result was as follows:
Manager - Mrs. Hilda L. Hayland
Vice Manager - Miss Betsy Johnson
Secretary - Miss Anna I Ljungstrom
Treasurer - Mrs. Ingrid Nilsson
The Committee gave $5 as the first contribution to be used for purchasing materials.
Next meeting is to be held in the church July 13.
The meeting ended with Prayer
Keeper of the minutes
This document was translated by Eric Knutsson of Sweden for
Bert and Maydora Johnson.
The Cover page was translated by Anna Westmark of Stockholm, Sweden.
Jeremiah 9: 23,24This is what the Lord says: “Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness of earth, for in these I delight,” declares the Lord.
Return to Church History 1886