The Present Location of Temple Baptist
N.E. Seventh Ave. and Clackamas Street
Planning for a new building commenced during
the Rev. Gideon Sjolander's pastorate. A location was purchased on North
Interstate Ave, near the Broadway Bridge. The members of the congregation were divided on
the feasibility of this location and a more suitable lot was searched for and selected at the
present location. The present building was erected in 1926 and 1927 under the
leadership of Rev. John Alfred Erikson.
Pastors: J. Alfred Erikson, Fredrik Linden, Carl A. Olsson, C. A. Aldeen, Victor E Hedber, and Dr Linus Johnson.
Building Committee: The Rev J. Alfred Erikson, Chairman; Carl Anderson, A. Lenonard Anderson; Arthur B. Carlson, Axel Carlson, Jacob Gordh, Harley K. Hallgren, Ernest Hanson, Alfred Johnson, Ernie N. Johnson, John Lloyd, Leonard Loydgren Emil Peterson, Frank Ryberg. Albin G. Rydman, O.S. Rydman and Ben Selberg.
The two story house on the South side of the church facing NE Seventh Ave. was also purchased and used the Custodian's Residence. Its address was 1319 NE 7th Ave. A church parsonage was bought on 2810 NE 28th Avenue. It was dedicated on March 6, 1950.
The preceding account was copied from the Souvenir pamphlet of the Twenty fifth Anniversary of the Dedication of the Temple Baptist Church in 1952.
" And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds. Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another--and all the more as you see the Day approaching." Hebrews 10:24,25
To read meeting notes starting on February 4, 1919, that led up to the purchase of our present Church building, Click Here.
Click Here to see photos of the Church Building when construction completed in 1927. Place cursor over image for information about the image.
To read a partial history of the city block the church is located on Click Here.